Sunday, August 29, 2010

World's Greatest Dad: What A Dark Comedy

We all know stuff about "Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon" phenomenon and it might be that possible that I might have met Kevin Bacon through these "six degrees" situation. I can't start and end at that point but I do say that it's now certain that I have met Bob Goldthwait. How? Because I went to this year's Supanova Convention at Sydney and met his former co-star Michael Winslow. Yeah, The point of where I have met Michael Winslow is seque to the point I met the director of this movie that I'm reviewing. Scary Enough, It might suggest I have met Steve Guttenberg through the "six degrees" theory.

Wanna know what's ironic? I have also actually met Rob Schneider when he promotes that Deuce Bigalow sequel in my quiet hometown of Liverpool. No really, I have met Deuce Bigalow himself when he's the only celebrity that I know have come to my hometown and that's freakin' scary!

The movie is World's Greatest Dad and it proves that Bob Goldthwait is not just that guy from Police Academy sequels (does anybody know he directed episodes of Chappelle's Show?) and it focuses on Lance Clayton (Robin Williams) whom while he's still an teacher in high school, he's also an author on writer's block and an hated father to his son Kyle. The character of Kyle is possibly the kind of son who's both an emo and an horny virgin with an hatred on both music and movies (he called these stuff "gay" and thinks Heavy Metal is the "faggiest" of all musical genres). While Lance is concerned that Kyle's dumbness might have send him to special education classes, something else happened when Kyle is jerkin' off the mobile pictures of Lance's girlfriend/co-worker Claire's pantyshots (he's actually doing doing autoerotic asphyxiation) which immediately killed him.

If this were another movie, I would be happy to see Kyle died while jerkin' off with that autoerotic asphyxiation technique but this is a movie directed by Bobcat Goldthwait so there must be hilarity, right?

If you just read the screen-caption, I'm correct that there's gonna be hilarious part of this black comedy story as Lance decide to fake Kyle committed suicide which also involves writing an suicide note. The note actually drew attention within the school and everybody thinks Kyle is talented (except Kyle's friend Andrew) and it leads Lance to write an counterfeit journal that gains an cult following. Lance is living the dream with his girlfriend, his friends and the school itself but for how long? Oh Crap, I just spoiled the story...

Did I spoil the whole movie? Well, I didn't tell you all about the ending, what's funny about this movie and everything else so at least I didn't spoil everything!

This movie is perfect vehicle for Robin Williams and unlike the other movie released that time known as "Old Dogs", It should be one of his greatest along with Dead Poets Society, One Hour Photo and Insomnia. Despite it being an independent comedy (and surprisingly co-produced by Richard Kelly), it should have hit it big in the worldwide box office. Maybe there will be a time when one of Bobcat's future directorial efforts will be on that path but seeing as we living in a world where the only huge Robin Williams movies are mostly the lame ones (eg. Richard Donnor's Jack). Well, I recommend everybody to see this movie including the anti-Robin Williams followers.

Old Dogs - The only way I could see this movie is because Seth Green's in it. However, He also voiced in the horrible show that is Family Guy (just get off the show and do more Robot Chicken, please).

No comments:

Post a Comment