Wednesday, September 8, 2010

TGWTG Film Club #7: The Departed

Note: While TGWTG Film Club changes movies each week, I have a bit of falling behind at this point. The reason why is because I've decided to make an podcast series called "Ludovico FM" but don't worry, I still make written reviews while trying to finish up my "Just A Harmless Attack" series plus this site might have a little relocation sooner or later. So anyway, let me start this review.

Any director has their ups and downs during their careers and Martin Scorsese is no exception since I know the cast members of The Sopranos made fun of him because he made "Kundum". I seen several of his movies and the last Scorsese movie prior to this that I have seen is The Aviator and it's pretty weird enough that Gwen Stefani gets a role. What? Lori Petty is not available (actually, don't get her since she still sucks) and that movie suffered Leonardo DiCaprio to slow his career down before The Departed. By the time this movie hits, it gained a couple of Oscars and great performances which ignite an "unofficial" comeback to Jack Dawson himself (this is before Inception and Scorsese's Shutter Island).

I bet Today's Gangster Culture makes fun of Scorsese because of "A Shark's Tale". Am I Right, My Homies?

This movie focuses on two different subplots – The first subplot involves Billy Costigan (Leonardo DiCaprio) whom after graduated to the police force has suddenly become an undercover agent to check on the wrong-doings of Frank Costello (Jack Nicholson). While investigating, He stumbles in the Brooklyn crime of blood and murder while he developed a relation with psychiatrist Madolyn Madden (Vera Farmiga). I can tell you that if you seen the trailers and television spots that if Billy Costigan will make it throughout the movie then here’s something you should know – It’s an Scorsese movie so don’t expect everything.

I've been wondering what Jack Nicholson and Matt Damon is watching at the cinema - I bet it has something to do with an emo teenager and an imaginary bunny named Frank.

The second subplot focuses on Colin Sullivan (Matt Damon) who’s been raised as part of Costello’s family of organised crime and had just graduated from the police force and had developed a relationship with Madolyn. Yeah, those two subplots involve both Billy and Colin becoming a narc and is a lover of the same psychiatrist. You might think it’s Hostel 1 & 2 combined but Eli Roth has nothing on Scorsese and those subplots are connected in a genius way possible. And what’s also genius about it is that “X” influences he lifted from Howard Hawks version of Scarface. By The Way, Has any guest stars of MTV’s Cribs ever seen the 1930s version instead of Brian De Palma’s acclaimed classic?

This makes the X-Men movies series more foreshadowing when it comes to the deaths of Jean Grey, Cyclops and Professor Xavier amongst many others. Damn, I hope Deadpool won’t be on the list (and I mean when it’s played by Ryan Reynolds and not some idiot who cannot speak).

This movie is a definitive of a modern masterpiece and is Martin back to this roots that he started on Mean Streets, it has good storytelling, awesome dialogue (especially from Nicholson and all-cursive Mark Wahlberg) and powerful score. There’s twists and turns and I can’t wait for the sequel because of one thing – Robert DeNiro returns to the movies directed by Scorsese. I fucking love DeNiro as an antagonist in those kinds of movies (he plays a corrupted senator) and I like to see how it goes so fingers crossed on that.

Leonardo DiCaprio and Mark Wahlberg could be the best Hip-Hop duo if Marky Mark remained an hip-hop artist.

No comments:

Post a Comment